Thursday, February 28, 2013

DIY Project: romantic headband

Lee esto en Castellano
I don't give up my personal quest of spreading DIY lifestyle. In order to do so, this week I came up with a very easy project but also very eye-catching. There's nothing more rewarding than being asked about where to buy something you did yourself. This why I'm always encouraging you guys to stop saying things such as "I can't do it" and to start trying.

This week's inspiration is a real luxury. I don't usually do this kind of DIY's (seeing an inspiration and doing it just alike). But I simply fell for this Eugenia Kim headband the moment I saw it. I think it's so pretty for any spring event. When I eventually came across these rubber bugs I couldn't help it! I simply had to do it.

The inspiration
Insects from the Bioexplorer collection from the spanish toy store Imaginarium (1 €/ud)
You'll be able to find the most important supply for this DIY in toy stores. The project itself couldn't be easier: just glue the bugs with a hot glue gun and paint it with spray paint. That's all. Here's the video so you can see how simple it is.
Which kind of spray paint should I use?
I made this DIY a few weeks before the XL necklace from last week, but I had some problems with the paint. This is why I couldn't show it to you guys until now. I used silvered acrylic spray paint and two weeks after it was still wet! I couldn't be more disappointed. In the end I had to clean all the paint up and start over with another kind of paint. The second time I went for a matte synthetic spray paint. Happily, it all turned out well.
Important

1. Don't try to get a full coverage at once. It's better to apply a few thin layers. 

2. Don't use acrylic spray paint on plastic or rubber. Synthetic spray sets better and looks nicer.

Hope you guys liked it!
xxx

1 comment:

  1. Lovely! That's such an excellent idea, I saw the headband too and wondered where I could get my hands on one for under £120...!

    I've been messing around with a spray paint bundle I won in the competition over at uktoolcentre.co.uk but I haven't been brave enough to try anything like this yet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...